Antique Safes/AB VARDESKYDD safe

Serial no
Serial no  

safe photo
safe photo  
I am writing to try and work out the value and weight of a safe within a property I have recently purchased in south east Scotland
It is within an old bank and I have enclosed a photo of the safe in question.
Are there purchasers of this sort of thing or is its hassle factor too much nowadays for people to bother with.
Many thanks in advance of any help
Kind Regards

Hello James,

Thank you  for your question and the pictures of your safe.  Vardeskydd safes were made in Sweden and not marketed in the UK, so I have no pictures or information in my archives regarding this make.  My guess is that the premises were originally a foreign bank who had this safe installed.

However, Vardeskydd became associated with British safe maker, John Tann and they collaborated on a safe that was sold under the John Tann brand name as a Tann Super Treasury which looks very similar to the safe in your pictures.  It looks like the model 1500 which measured 1820 high x 750 wide x 865 deep externally.  The weight is approximately 2070kg. It may be the next size down, the 1200 which measures 1520 x 750 x 865 and weighs 1760kg.

It was not a popular safe as it looked very different with its Swedish styling; concealed hinges, recessed door, and buyers preferred something more traditional looking, so it was quickly withdrawn from the market. However, it really was a very good safe with an overnight cash rating of 100,000 (the safe is insurable to secure up to a maximum of 100,000 in cash or 1m in valuables).

It remains a very good safe but it may be difficult to find someone who wants a very high grade safe that may weigh over 2 tonnes.  It is worth asking a specialist in used safes if they would purchase it but it is going to cost quite a bit to remove it from your premises, requiring a specially trained crew of at least 4-5 men and a truck with a powerful hoist to load it.  

I am not too familiar with dealers in your area but Scotia Safes in Midlothian and Safes International in Glasgow would be worth trying - if they are not interested they may at least be able to refer you to someone that is.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others