Antique Safes/Age of Meilink Hercules Safe

Safe 1
Safe 1  

Safe 2
Safe 2  

I have just acquired a Meilink Safe (Hercules Model), that I am assuming is from the early 1900's. I was originally wanting to just restore the exterior paint work and have it as a decorative item in my house, but before i touch it, I wanted to make sure that the paint on it now isn't original. I have searched for a few days to try and find out the year of manufacture (approx), and what the original colours would have been. I have had no success with finding anything that has this style of handle with a key lock manufactured by Meilink.

Apologies for the quality of the photo's, but that was the best i could do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim, there is a very good reason why you haven't been able to find any Meilink safe like your's.  It wasn't made by Meilink, it wasn't even made here in the States.  Pretty sure it was made in the U.K., probably about 100 years ago.  It does look like the original paint though. Try expert Tom Gordon as he made know something about the company.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place