Antique Safes/Alphabet Safe

Question
I have an old alphabet safe. I purchased it with my house back in the year 2000, and had an old locksmith friend of the family break into it, service it, and set a new combination. My friend has since passed away, and although I know the four letter combination, as I picked it, I don't know the proper way to work the combination. I want to sell the safe, but need to get it open to do it.

I appreciate your assistance.

Bruce

Answer
Hi Bruce,

As there were several companies that used "alphabet" dials, I will need more information to try to help you out.    Just saying you have an alphabet safe doesn't help much.

If you don't know who the manufacturer of the safe is, then I will need to see what you have to try to assist you with the proper dialing sequence for the lock installed on your safe.

If there are no manufactures labels or plaques, I'll need photos of the safe.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

WHILE I UNDERSTAND YOU CAN'T GET PHOTOS OF THE INSIDE, THE ABOVE LISTING ILLUSTRATES ALL OF THE NECESSARY PHOTOTS TO DO A FULL IDENTIFICATION - PLEASE DO YOUR BEST.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)