Antique Safes/Chubb Safe

Chubb Commerce Safe
Chubb Commerce Safe  
Hello Mike
I was searching my safe and came across your forum. mine has the 128 Queen Victoria Street London Address on it as well. is there any way I can find out if the safe was originally green? any other information would be appreciated. Year etc. this safe is now in Australia

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your question.  128 Queen Victoria Street was Chubb's head office for many years but the entire building was destroyed in a fire-storm following an air raid in WW2.  Consequently, any safe displaying this address is likely to be pre-war.

Chubb has produced a number of Commerce Quality safes over the years, the most recent being the Commerce EDR. However, this was the first but unfortunately I don't have any literature on the original safe but I do have a picture of your version of the Commerce and it is also finished in the same green.  I hope this helps.

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others