Antique Safes/Dial Sequence for HHM safe

Question
HHM Safe
HHM Safe  
My family just sold our office to a friend. The safe has not been opened in years and we cannot remember the sequence. It is Labeled as a Herring Hall Marvin. Was installed in the mid 70's but not sure if it was new or used then. The building was an old Bank and the safe door is the size of a full sized door, a walk-in. When the bank vacated they took their door with them, this is a replacement. See attached image. We are wondering is you can look at it and tell us the likely sequence.

Answer
Hi Bo,

This is not a "safe", this would be a fire resistive "vault door".    As HHM went out of business in 1959, the door would have been a used door when it was installed.

This door was a late model door, built during the late 1950's.

The dialing sequence for the lock is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 90).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.    Or, start turning left to 50 once, 50 twice, 50 three times, stopping on 50 the fourth time.    It is not necessary to stop on the number each time - only the last time for each sequence.

Do not spin or whirl the dial, dial smoothly and steadily, making sure you stop exactly on the number.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)