Antique Safes/Grandpa's old safe

Question
antique safe
antique safe  

combo dial
combo dial  
I have an old safe that I'd like to know what the value might be as my neighbor said that they would like to have it if I ever wanted to get rid of it. I don't want to give away the safe is valuable.
I have attached some photos of the safe for your review.

Answer
Hi Cindy,

Your safe is from "Steelcase Safes", a division of "The Metal Office Furniture Co., Grand Rapids, MI".    Began in business around 1912, but I don't show that they have made any safes since around WWII or the early 1950's.
Peter M. Wedge was instrumental in starting the company.   He was one of the designers and executives of both The Safe Cabinet Company and General Fire Proofing Company - both makers of fire resistive safes.
While both The Safe Cabinet Company and General Fireproofing Company, were known users of asbestos as an insulation material, I don't have any records indicating that the Metal Office Furniture Company (or Steelcase) ever used it - HOWEVER, that being said, it wouldn't surprise me much to find out they did.

My recommendation would be to have the container tested for asbestos as this could be a significant issue.   If it has the material, then your next step would be to investigate your federal, state and local HAZMAT restrictions to find out what your legal and/or liabilities might be.

As far as value - basically it has none, and in fact until it has been ascertained that it does not contain asbestos, it would have a negative value - that being costs for testing and/or disposal.    Make sure your neighbors are aware of its potential before selling it.

As far as the asbestos goes, it is a great insulation media, AND as long as it is kept sealed in the walls of the container, AND does not become airborne, AND is not inhaled - it DOES NOT pose any significant health risk.

Basic values:
Fire resistance:     $0     Does not meet any current standards.   Safes over 50 years old are no longer current - yours could easily be around 70 to 100 years old.
Burglary:          $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value
Antique/Collectible  $0     is not considered antique or collectible

If I were to put a sale sign on it, with all of the unknowns above, it would be around $200-$250 - WITH the disclaimer that it MAY contain asbestos as an insulation material.

If I had the unit at my house / in my garage, I would probably use if for something like AMMO storage, or something similar that requires a minimum amount of fire resistance.

Sorry the news isn't what you were hoping for,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)