Antique Safes/Identify old safe

Safe 1
Safe 1  

Safe 2
Safe 2  
I have this old safe the dial says sargent and greenleaf lock co   Do you recognize and have any info on its value?

Hi Brandon,

follow up to my original posting.

I received the other photos you sent to my email.    They did confirm my first thoughts as to the manufacturer, the confusing part was the dial, which is NOT original to the safe.    The manufacturer is  The Cary Safe Company, Buffalo, NY.    The dial should have the patent dates for the Cary C-5 lock which is installed.    Date of manufacturer of the Jewelers Chest is going to be early 1900's, possibly around 1906, based on the lock serial number and type of lock.

Hope this helps,

Hi Brandon,

This is NOT a safe, it is a Jewelers Chest, and was originally built into (inside) of another safe.    It was not designed to be used as a "stand alone" container.

As far as the manufacturer, generally the identifying information would be on the Main or outer safe.    I'm still looking through photos trying to match it to a manufacturer, however it doesn't match the companies I would expect on first glance.

As for as value, I will need photos of the inside as well - bolt work and lock.    If the container were still inside of the original (mother) safe, it would "add" to the overall value.   As it has been removed this decreases the value.
There are a few people who might still be interested in collecting the chest - only, though.

Is the safe locked up, or are you able to open it to get interior photos for me???  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada