Antique Safes/what kind of safe and how much is it worth

We found this safe and it's a gary safe the number on the lid is 31096 and the relocating device number is 622101 and we have no clue what it is worth or anything about it

Hi David,

While this chest does meet the minimum current burglary standards "IF" the chest is buried in concrete, it has little value.    This safe is from the early 1960's.   its obsolete and has no available parts.   Values would be as follows:

Fire Resistance:     $0     This is NOT a fire resistive container.
Burglary:          $150 to $200     Obsolete unit.
Resale:          $0     Unit has no commercial or retail value.
Antique/Collectible: $0     Is neither antique or collectible.

These containers were designed to be installed in concrete in a wall, in the floor or in a concrete and steel cladding.   It is not designed as a stand alone container.   Even if it is bolted down it doesn't meet current standards.

My recommendations - have it serviced by a local safe company to ensure its operation and a good working combination.   If you want to use it go ahead.   If you are trying to sell it - AND if a potential buyer contacted me about it, I would give them the same info above, and recommend that they keep looking.

Don't get me wrong, I do like these little containers, and can think of various uses, however your question was concerning its "$$$ Value" or "worth", so that's the info that I've provided.   If you have specific questions other than value, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada