Antique Safes/Mosler Safe---Approx Date of Mfr?

Question

I recently took possession of an old safe that my dad used to have in our basement. It's now in my garage and I would like to move it to my living area. It's a Mosler T20 Burglary serial #330365. My question is when was it made (approximately) and what is the finish? It's a very durable finish, but it's not enamel or a lacquer coating that I'm familiar with. It has some rusty spots from sitting in a damp basement for over 60 years. I would like to clean it up, but preserve its original finish if possible.

Thanks,

Charlie

Answer
Hi Charlie,

First off, there are no records available from Mosler concerning the serial numbers and actual dates of manufacturer.   We've got a pretty idea, but because of inconsistencies with the serial numbers, the dates are not exact.    I will also need to see WHICH label you are using as a reference for a serial number.

Second item, the safe is NOT a burglary safe.   While the label may indicate that, the "T-20" rating meant "TAMPER RESISTANT" and NOT burglary resistant.   In general, these were very low level security containers, usually fire resistive safes with a little extra protection.

As for the finish, I will have to see what you are referring to.   I'm not a painter, so I'm not going to be able to give you a down and dirty way of telling the difference between various paints, but I might be able to answer some basic questions when I see the paint.    Many manufacturers used varnish to protect the finish, and as it gets older it tends to yellow and "craze" or crack.   Painters also had techniques for laying on paint so that it appeared "textured" rather than flat or gloss.    This doesn't mean it is a special paint, only that a specific technique was used.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)