Antique Safes/mosler vault door parts

I recently acquired an old antique vault door to install in a home vault.  At some time the vault door had been drilled and is missing the (bolt and fence?). The discs and dial appear to be intact and operational, however there are no pieces to prevent the operation of the locking bars.  I would like to restore the door to it's original working condition. Any idea where I might find parts or specs to machine them?

Hi Greg,

Send me photos of the parts that you have and what you think are missing, and I'll look around to see what I might have.

In general, you are going to have to fabricate new parts, and there are no schematics or specs for any items that you may need.    Manufacturers NEVER released this information and once they are out of business the info is gone as well.

In this case, Mosler has been out of business for around 14 years now, and when Diebold acquired what parts and materials were left over, most were destroyed so that customers who had Mosler items would need to replace them with newer Diebold items.

While I'm sure that we can get the door operational,  be prepared to have any items necessary fabricated - which means machine shop time and money.

Items like older or "antique" (over 100 years old), are going to be even harder to find than newer items.   This also equates to $$$$'s.

As far as the lock goes, if you plan on using the vault, then you also may need to install a newer lock, while it won't be original, it will get the door functional MUCH quicker.

Again, however I will need to see items that you have questions and/or concerns about.

Please send me good quality photos to:  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada