Antique Safes/Remington Rand Safe Cabinet

I have an old Remington Rand safe cabinet that I got on a salvage auction. We would like to open it but do not have a combination for it. I have the SR# Is there any way to get the combination?
Thanks, Curt.

Hi Curtis,

Remington-Rand quit making safes when they merged with the Sperry Corporation in 1955.   There are no records available which might have original combinations, so this leaves you with two options.
1.   You can test dial every possible combination, or
2.   You can have it opened by a safe tech, from a local safe company.

Note:   Remington-Rand was a known user of asbestos as an insulation media, as this is considered HAZMAT material there are very specific regulations concerning the sales of, transportation of or disposal of these materials.

"IF" your container contains asbestos, the "salvage auction" MAY bear some liability for disposal of the equipment.
NOTE:   Asbestos ONLY poses a health risk "IF" it becomes airborne, and "IF" you inhale it.   As long as it remains sealed in the safe, it shouldn't pose any significant problems, HOWEVER, this is something that you should keep an eye on.    
Check your local, state and federal regulations to see where you stand on this.

If you decide to have it opened by a safe tech, check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a nearby company.   If you don't have one, let me know where you and/or the container are located, and I'll see who might be nearby that I would recommend.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada