Antique Safes/Remington Rand Safe Cabinet

Question
I have an old Remington Rand safe cabinet that I got on a salvage auction. We would like to open it but do not have a combination for it. I have the SR# Is there any way to get the combination?
Thanks, Curt.

Answer
Hi Curtis,

Remington-Rand quit making safes when they merged with the Sperry Corporation in 1955.   There are no records available which might have original combinations, so this leaves you with two options.
1.   You can test dial every possible combination, or
2.   You can have it opened by a safe tech, from a local safe company.

Note:   Remington-Rand was a known user of asbestos as an insulation media, as this is considered HAZMAT material there are very specific regulations concerning the sales of, transportation of or disposal of these materials.

"IF" your container contains asbestos, the "salvage auction" MAY bear some liability for disposal of the equipment.
NOTE:   Asbestos ONLY poses a health risk "IF" it becomes airborne, and "IF" you inhale it.   As long as it remains sealed in the safe, it shouldn't pose any significant problems, HOWEVER, this is something that you should keep an eye on.    
Check your local, state and federal regulations to see where you stand on this.

If you decide to have it opened by a safe tech, check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a nearby company.   If you don't have one, let me know where you and/or the container are located, and I'll see who might be nearby that I would recommend.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)