Antique Safes/Safe is stuck at the number 50

Question
I do not enter the safe often because it is old and hard for me to open. It is a York antique safe..floor safe with wheels. The last number in the combination is 50 and that is that it is the number the dial stuck at. I guess I did something when I shut the door and please tell me there is something that I can do. The dial won't move a 1/4 inch either way and the knob8o won't turn. Any suggestions?

Answer
Kendall, if the dial normally cones to a stop at 50 and then the bolt handle can be opened, it sounds like the door is not fully shut and the bolt handle is not fully turned.  Exactly what you are describing indicates the lock bolt cannot fully extend to its locked position.  Usually this is because the door rubs against the jamb, preventing the door from fully seating.  And if this is the problem, it might be repairable to some degree and should be looked at immediately as it will only get worse.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen