Antique Safes/Safe Value

Question
I am trying to find info on a safe that I bought several years ago. I am thinking of reselling the safe but do not know current value or any specs on safe. It is a McGunn Untouchable Safe TL-30 Plus 6. The outside dimensions are 41" Wide, 71" Tall, and 28" Deep. I have lost the combo to the safe so I am unable to open right now but trying to seek someone in area for manipulation of the safe. Thanks in advance for any help.

Answer
Hi Sterling,

I would have to see what you actually have.    While McGunn was a manufacturer, much of their stuff was either imported or relabeled, so while it may have their name, that may not be what you actually have.

Having the TL-30 label on the safe is worth something, but bottom line it WILL depend on what you have as there were some crappy safe makers out there.

Second item - if the safe is locked up, then it currently has a negative value - that being the cost to open the safe.    While Manipulation "MAY" be possible (depending on the lock) it isn't a guaranteed method for opening the safe.    You WILL be paying for the service and not necessarily the result.

If the safe needs (or has to be) drilling, charges generally are a "PER" lock rate, and can start as high as $1500 per lock.    If the container has glass, and/or due to its location relocks have to be disabled - each of these is considered a lock.

"CURRENT" value will be dependent upon its condition AFTER it is open AND repaired.

If you can't find someone "SKILLED" in manipulation and/or opening high security safes in your area, then let me know where you are located (zip code), and I'll see who I might know or recommend in your area.

Just because someone says that they will try it, doesn't necessarily mean that they are skilled, and as mentioned - YOU will be paying for the service and not necessarily the results!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)