Antique Safes/Stiffel and Freeman safe

Question
QUESTION: We inherited a Stiffel and Fremman Co. safe.  We need to have it moved and we were told that it could contain asbestos and therefore been unsafe to move and use.  Is this true?  Can it be safely moved and used?

Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Dave,

The Stiffel and Freeman Safe Company was NOT a known user of asbestos as an insulation media.   This company was in business from 1896 until the late 1920's.   An easy way to find out for  sure, to ease your worries, is to have the insulation tested.   If you don't have a local HAZMAT testing facility, you can obtain a "do it yourself" test kit from most hardware stores and possibly CVS Pharmacies.   You can also order one on line by going to:   http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

Follow the instructions and send the sample in, with the testing fee to the lab to obtain the results.

Even if your safe has asbestos, there are some simple rules to follow for it to be safe.
#1 Asbestos ONLY presents a health risk "IF" if becomes airborne, AND
#2 it is inhaled.

As long as the material is sealed inside of the safe walls, it poses little threat.   Don't let the Eco-Nazis and ambulance chasing liars (I mean lawyers) on TV scare you.    As with anything a little common sense and prudent care will keep you safe.

IF the safe does show that it has asbestos, then you can cross that bridge at that time, to determine whether or not you want to keep it or dispose of it.

There are literally 10's of thousands of safes still in use and/or in collections in the US, today, that are being used, which don't pose a threat, as long as the asbestos is sealed inside of the safe walls.

So what are your options ???

#1.    Your safe, and the manufacturer was not a known user of asbestos.    Move the safe and use it.
#2.    IF you have any doubts, have it tested.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: As a follow-up, do you recommend that the safe be moved by specialists?  Should it be serviced during the move process?  The safe has been used indoors for decades and seems fine.  can the lock mechanism be damaged if moved improperly?  We live in the northern Philadelphia suburbs - any companies that you could recommend?

Thanks again!

Dave

Answer
Hi Dave.

In general - yes.   I do recommend using a professional safe company.

The problem with heavy items like safes is that gravity is not your friend.  If it gets away from you, it will get away really fast, taking anyone and anything in its way - especially if its on wheels.

If the lock or dial is hit during the move, it can change the combination or damage the lock.

Safe companies generally move safes up to thousands of pounds.   We top out around 10,000 before we have to use a rigging company.    We anticipate everything that can go wrong, not only to protect the safe, but the workers and the surrounding environment - things like walls, floors, tile, steps and stairs, etc. etc. etc.

One of the nearest companies that I would recommend would be:

Wilson Safe Company
3031 Island Ave.,
Philadelphia, PA  19153
215-492-7100

We do a lot of work together, back and forth, so I'm very familiar with them.    Wilson Safe has been in business for around 100 years.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)