Antique Safes/Antique York Safe & Lock Co. Safe

Andy, I have an old (pre WWII)safe.  It is lettered on the door, "York Safe & Lock" (1st line), "York PA" (second line) "sold by" (3rd line), "Fairbanks, Morse & Co."(4th line), "Spokane Wash".  It measures 26.25" deep, 26" wide and 39" high, including the height of the 5" cast iron 4 spoke wheels.  It is a combination safe, with a lever latch handle.  I inherited the safe from my father in 1991.  He in turn got it from a neighbor in 1970.  I remember the neighbor saying it was from an old grocery store, possibly a "Safeway Grocer".  I have no other provenance on the safe, nor do I have a combination.  My question is there any way to "roughly determine it's age, and who was "Fairbanks, Morse and Company of Spokane?  Finally, is it worth me keeping it from the scrap man as scrap iron? A local locksmith had interest once, but that was 15 or more years ago.  I'd appreciate anything you might be able to tell me...Scott.

Hi Scott,

I'm on vacation this week and will return next week, but I would be more than happy to look at your safe.

To answer, any questions I'll need to see photos of your safe .  You can send them directly to my email at
any items you have specific questions about,  please send me a picture of the items.

if I need  more details I'll request specific photos.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada