Antique Safes/halls safe

safe front
safe front  

inside front
inside front  
Have acquired a hall's safe & lock company safe cincinnati ohio dial # 71290 and would like to know approximate age and value if possible thanks Dana

Dana, unfortunately the safe is not worth a whole lot, mostly because there are thousands upon thousands of old safes like that still around which nobody wants to use.  Just based on my experience on this forum, everyone wants to sell a old safe, but no one ever asks where they might buy one.  On the age, my guess would be probably 1870's.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place