Antique Safes/Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe

I volunteer at a church that is remodeling a century old building.  I have been offered a Herring-Hall -Marvin Safe.  I do not have a picture at this time.  It is listed on the tag as CAT# 4829 2Hour (B) Fire T-20 Burglary  Spec.FID

The exterior dimensions are 28" deepX 28" wide x 60" tall (Including the attached wheels.)  

Any idea what this is?  I have spoken to several moving companies and they all want to know how much it weighs?  The church has the combination.  The inside is very simple with four full width supposedly adjustable shelves.  

What would your opinion be on a fair price for the church?  Is this a model that would be worth moving 12 miles down seven stairs and then up seven stairs.  I would be keeping home valuables, papers and probably modify the shelves for a couple of long guns.  

Thank you!

Brad, I think $500 is a fair price if the safe is good working condition.  Does the combination work without problems and does the door close without dragging on the jamb?  I worked on a smaller HHM fire safe yesterday that did have hinge wear and was causing problems getting the door bolts to throw properly.  Actually the hinge wear is a more critical aspect to look at, as the lock can be replaced.  I would guess the safe to be around 1200 lbs.  However it sounds like you should contact a company that regularly moves safes.   Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place