Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe

Hello, I a have an antique Herring Hall Marvin safe that I am trying to find information on. I've found a couple safes online that look similar, but not the exact model. I am looking for any information you can provide, specifically the year, any history, and any value it might have. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joe, I am lucky to get the decade in which a safe was made. Check out another posting that should show up right close to yours, about another old HHM safe.  It's from the same era 1890's up to the 1920's.  HHM made a lot of different safes, big and small, double and single door, burglary and fire safes.  The vast majority of the pre- 1920's models, like yours, were sold as business safes for fire and burglary protection.  Because they were built to last, there are a great many still around.  The need for safes of this type has reduced considerably, and so has the value.  Here in Cleveland you'd do well to get $300-400 for it.   Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place