Antique Safes/Herring's PT Safe

My father recently passed and left a combination for the safe but it only has 3 numbers. Herring's PT is imprinted on the left wheel. It has no right wheels but I found a picture of a matching one on this forum. It looks like the lock was changed. I just wanted to see if I should have a 4th number. Any information would be helpful.
Thank You

Todd, if I am seeing that patent date correctly, it says 1906, which is after Herring was merged into Herring- Hall-Marvin.  So the dial is not original.  What we don't know is if the lock was also changed.  Both Herring and S&G did make 3 wheel locks, so it is entirely possible and likely that is what you have.  By 1906, S&G locks were using movable flys on each wheel, whereas the typical Herring lock used in that safe had fixed wheel pins.  The herring lock did use a 2 piece drive cam though, which might make you think it had 4 wheels.  This could be verified with a stethoscope if you know what to listen for.  The dialing sequence for a 3 wheel S&G is 4L-3R-2L-1R to stop.  For the Herring 3 wheel, 5R-4L-3R-2L to 0, 1R to stop.  Hope this helps.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place