Antique Safes/Herring's PT Safe

Question
Safe1
Safe1  

Safe2
Safe2  
My father recently passed and left a combination for the safe but it only has 3 numbers. Herring's PT is imprinted on the left wheel. It has no right wheels but I found a picture of a matching one on this forum. It looks like the lock was changed. I just wanted to see if I should have a 4th number. Any information would be helpful.
Thank You

Answer
Todd, if I am seeing that patent date correctly, it says 1906, which is after Herring was merged into Herring- Hall-Marvin.  So the dial is not original.  What we don't know is if the lock was also changed.  Both Herring and S&G did make 3 wheel locks, so it is entirely possible and likely that is what you have.  By 1906, S&G locks were using movable flys on each wheel, whereas the typical Herring lock used in that safe had fixed wheel pins.  The herring lock did use a 2 piece drive cam though, which might make you think it had 4 wheels.  This could be verified with a stethoscope if you know what to listen for.  The dialing sequence for a 3 wheel S&G is 4L-3R-2L-1R to stop.  For the Herring 3 wheel, 5R-4L-3R-2L to 0, 1R to stop.  Hope this helps.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen