Antique Safes/J C Grove safe

Question
I have a safe which has been in the family for about 150 years. It was used until 10 years ago. I have the key. it has been stored in a garage for the last few years so is not in as good condition as it was. I now have to move it so will have to let it go as I have nowhere else to store it.
The writing on it says, J C Grove late with Chubb. Improved fire, burglar proof safe.Defiance Safe works Birmingham.
I would be grateful if you could tell me it has any antique value, and if so possibly how I could best go about selling it. If not and I have to get it taken away do you know what it is likely to be made of then I can gage who to contact and whether they will pay me for it's metal value, or I have to just pay someone to take it away. I have been putting this off for years,but I have to do it now. Many thanks for any information you are able to give.

Answer
Hello Janet,

Thank you for your question.

J C Grove was one if a host of small safe makers that blossomed in the late Victorian era.  Unfortunately they don't have a lot of value and I have found scrap metal dealers reluctant to take them as they don't have a big metal content as the body is full of sand and sawdust which makes a mess in their yards.

Antique safes feature regularly on eBay but they have to be in very good condition to sell.  If you check eBay prices ignore the Buy Now items as they always ask far too much and they seldom sell.  Your best bet is probably eBay if you don't set a high reserve, but make sure you specify, Buyer Collects.

If you have found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer