Antique Safes/MacNeale and Urban Safe

Question
Hi Andy,

I am the director of a library which was built in 1900.  The safe in our basement is original to the building and is fire proof. It was used to store all of the town's important documents.  It still works.  I was wondering if you could tell me something about it and what it might be worth? I had someone offer to take it out of the basement and donate money to the library for it.  I want to give the trustees all of the information that I can about the safe before they make a decision.  

It is a two-door safe, and when you open it, there are two more doors and then a bunch of wooden shelves where the documents used to be stored.  I can send you photos.

Thanks,
Erin

Answer
Hi Erin,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to answer any "specific" questions that you might have, and/or to evaluate it for you.    Obviously any evaluation "value" would need to "minus" the cost to get the safe OUT of the basement, so that any potential buyer has access to it.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)