Antique Safes/Macneale & urban safe dial

Question
QUESTION: I am looking for a replacement dial/lock (everything)for my 1870ish Macneale & Urban safe.  It would have had letters instead of numbers.  The shaft length needs to be around 5 1/2".  Do you know where I might find one?

ANSWER: Randy,

Good luck with this one.    You basically have two choices, you can buy one out of someone's collection, or you can find a safe in worse shape than yours to use for "donor" parts.

There simply are no new or aftermarket parts available, and after the manufacturer closes down, there are no more sources.

Anything thing that is available, is going to be already in another safe, in someone parts pile, or in a collection.

I checked through my old parts bins, and I don't have any MacNeale & Urban dials at all.

QUESTION: If I find one with the wrong shaft length is it possible to change to a longer one?

Answer
Hi Randy,

it would depend on the dial and shaft assembly and more importantly, how they are connected.

Cutting it and welding a "section" in the middle to increase length is an option, however it takes plenty of skill to get all THREE pieces straight and true.

I would recommend using a lathe to center the pieces up before welding or brazing them together.

You might want to consider simply making a new dial and spindle assembly rather than trying to "cut & paste" one together.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)