Antique Safes/the safe cabinet remington rand

Question
I have a double door safe cabinet from the 40's or 50's it has yale locks, is green in color and is approximately 6 ft. tall, 5 ft. wide and 4 ft deep. I am wondering what it is worth, it is in good condition and is fire safe. someone is interested in purchasing it and i'd like to know how much to sell it for. if you could give me a ballpark estimate I would greatly appreciate it. it says made in usa in marrietta, Ohio but has not dates that I can see. the doors are at least 8 maybe 10" thick and it has double yale locks on the doors.

Answer
Hi Janelle,

In general - these safes have little resale value, and in some cases a negative value for a couple reasons.

#1 - this manufacturer was a known user of asbestos as an insulation material.   As there are fairly restrictive local, state and federal regulations with the sale of, transportation of and/or disposal of HAZMAT items like asbestos, you do have obligations before considering selling it - and if you don't reveal this to the prospective buyer, the penalties can be even more exhorbant!!!!

#2 - These containers were built between 1926-1955, as it is over 50 years old it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance.   This is also NOT a burglary resistive container.

You need to check on your local & state HAZMAT regulations for asbestos as this may or may not determine whether or not you can even sell it.

Basic values for these containers:

Fire resistance:          $0     does not meet any current standards
Burglary resistance:      $0     this is not a burglary resistive container
resale:          $0     has no commercial or retail value
antique:          $0     not over 100 years old
collectible:          $0     is considered "old" office equipment and not collectible

Due to the asbestos issues it may not be sellable.    Just because it has no value under any of the above categories doesn't mean it is valueless, its value is just very "restricted"!    The unit would make a good, general purpose fire resistive storage locker - NOT for any valuable items, just to provide storage with some heat resistance.

A reasonable price to ask would be in the $200 to $400 range, however as mentioned - DO NOT hide the fact that this unit may have asbestos as most states have some sort of lemon law and/or regulations regarding disclosing HAZMAT related issues.    Penalties are NOT worth trying to make a couple bucks selling the safe to get rid of it.

hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)