Antique Safes/Safe Cabinet/Victor Safe

Question
Door
Door  

Interior
Interior  
I am preparing to restore my wife's grandfather's safe and need some help on the paint and decal colors as the safe exterior I s pretty rough Interior is not as bad but will need restoration too).  Based on your other responses, I'm guessing the safe was made between 1926-1929. SN 295363. I have the combination and it opens easily, but as you can see from the photo, it is hard to tell the color of the lettering/decals (gold? white?) and if there was any other pinstriping on the door.  Also, I assume the safe color was black, but was it a satin or gloss finish?  What was the finish on the dial, handle & hinge caps (nickel)?  Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Aslo, a curiosity...inside the safe on the floor appears to be a rug remnant.  I noticed online photos with similar pieces.  Was this a factory practice?

Answer
Hi Ed,

I would be more than happy to take a look at your safe to see what you have.

While the Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from about 1885 in Cincinnati, OH.  They were acquired by The Safe Cabinet Company in 1920.   Manufacturing was continued at the factory until The Safe Cabinet Company was acquired by Remington-Rand around 1926, and all manufacturing was moved to Marietta, OH.
After the acquisition by The Safe Cabinet Company, the name was changed to the Victor Safe & Equipment Company.

Based on the style of your safe, it would appear to be from before the 1920 merger, and was either relabeled with The Safe Cabinet Company logo, or it was simply sold by them, as a used safe at some point.

Obviously I will need much better photos to try to narrow down a time frame for your safe.

As far as the finishes on the safe, the decal is from the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, where the Victor Safe & Lock Company won a "Grand Prize" for their exhibit.   They began using the decal of the Grand Price in 1905.

The finish on the handle, dial, dial ring and hinge acorns was probably a nickel plating.  And yes having a carpeted floor was pretty much standard by most companies at this time.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)