Antique Safes/Safe value

Question
I have had in my basement under stair, a safe acquired with home purchase some 30 years ago.  I will be moving and desire to sell safe, rather then leave with house with new owners, as I think it likely has reasonable antique value.

Safe is "The United States Steel Safe & Lock Co.- New York Chicago" which I presume was made in late 1800's/early 1900's from what I can gather. Measures 24" wide by 24" deep by 36" high. Has an inner thin metal key lock door for entire vault; inside upper left are 3 small compartments (top being a metal lock door, below it a wood lock drawer, and below that another wood unlocked drawer),below that open space with balance on right side open as well (old carpet kind of fabric).

My daughter took several photos of interior/exterior - would be pleased to send them your way when you provide e-mail address.  I would be curious as to value or what I might expect to sell this safe for today?  Thanks much for your time!  Roy Friesen  

Answer
Hi Roy,

First, I don't have any records showing this company as .a manufacturer - more than likely they were simply a distributor or sales agent.   It was (and is) fairly common to relabel safes with the distributor's name and/or logo, for advertising purposes.

The majority of the safes I've seen with this name or logo were actually manufactured by Syracuse Safe Company, Syracuse, NY.   So Basically I will need to see what you actually have, so that we can properly ID it for you.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)