Antique Safes/Wards Home Deposit Vault No Lock

Question
Lock Mounting
Lock Mounting  

Vault Door
Vault Door  
Hello,

I have an old Wards Home Deposit Vault that is missing it's lock. Is there any chance of finding a lock to replace it? It does not have to be original or even nice looking, just functional.
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Ian,

What you need more than photos (though they help) is a very good drawing of the lock cavity, with exact measurements of the space and all of the mounting holes - size and locations.   Once you have the drawing - THEN you can have people start looking for some locks.

Note:   you might be able to find a lock that fits in the space and through the access hole, but doesn't align with the three screw mounting holes.    You may have to drill and tap new holes.
Also, depending on the length of the original lock bolt, replacement locks may not be long enough, meaning that you may need to add on to the end to make the replacement lock work.

Having a machine shop or some basic tools and skills will help you to fit a replacement lock.

But lets start off with the drawing first, and go from there.

Once you get the drawing completed, email it to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com and I'll look through my locks to see what I have that might be close.    You should also send it to other safe companies and brick & mortar locksmith type shops to see if they have anything as well.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)