Antique Safes/York 2 drawer safe

Question
I acquired this safe about 20 years ago. Looks like a file cabinet with two drawers. Know how I can get rid of it, I doubt it's worth anything.
It's rather large and very heavy and I'm getting ready to sell my house and need it gone.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Margee,

If it has drawers and not a door, then it is NOT a safe, regardless of if it has a combination lock attached.

First problem as York was acquired by Diebold in about 1945, and the label was discontinued around 1959 this container is going to be well over 50 years old, which means that it does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive container.   It is simply old office furniture - basically an old filing cabinet.

This means that it is not antique, not collectible, and it has no commercial or retail value.   That being said, this doesn't mean that it is worthless or useless.    I have two similar containers that I use for general purpose storage, where I want a little fire resistance.

The amount of time required to find a buyer to sell it isn't going to be useful as you are getting ready to sell your house.    Many times home owners will have a "garage or yard sale" to unload items that they may not want to take with them - this is probably going to be the best and quickest way to get rid of this item - unless you have a family member or friend that might want it.

Sorry no easy answers, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)