Antique Safes/York Safe Co.

York 4558
York 4558  
Can you help identify the YOM for my (new to me) safe?
York Safe Co. No.A "4558", double door, Sargent & Greenleaf No. 6827 lock, Class T20, Fire rate A.
Size: 48" wide less hinges x 5'-6" tall x 30" deep. The Hermann Safe Co. San Francisco (distributor-?), Dark Green with gold pin striping.
Top right inside hinge appears to be stamped with numbers which I couldn't read with my failing eyes and the darkness where it currently resides. Hope to find a safe mover this week to bring it home.
Also...any idea of what the weight might be?
Thanks for your time.

Hi Michael,

The best I can do is to narrow down possible years of manufacture.   As there are no records available, there is no way to tell exactly when it would have been made.

Based on the single photo that you provided, this appears to be one of York's "cabinet" type safes which were made as "office equipment" for document storage during the 1930's and 40's.   The "T-20" classification indicates "TAMPER Resistant" only and NOT burglary resistive.   The Class "A" fire rating, indicates that it was a 4 hour, fire resistive container.    

NOTE:   as this container is over 50 years old it does NOT meet ANY current standards for burglary or fire resistance and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.    This should ONLY be used for general purpose storage.

As far as the weight goes I would need a lot more info and much better measurements to come up with a weight, but based on the photo and the measurements provided my best guess at this time would be around  2500 to 3000 lbs.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada