Antique Safes/C.H Griffiths & sons

We have a very old C.H Griffiths & Sons safe and would be interested if it is worth renovating/ repairing it or not and if there would we anyone who could come on site and review the unit, where can we find an expert in this type of safes?
Thank you in advance!

Hello Izabella,

Thank you for your question.  C H Griffiths did not make safes, they simply supplied them, but removed the makers name and added their own, so the original maker of this safe is not known.

However, it is not that old.  The photograph with the door open is a bit fuzzy but it looks like it would have been made in the early 1930s.

If you go to the Master Locksmiths Association website at and enter your details it will list Master Locksmiths in your area.  Choose one or two that offer safe engineering, tell them that you have a Griffiths 12 corner bent safe made circa 1930 and ask them for estimates for whatever it is that needs repairing.

If you have any further questions, please come back to me.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others