Antique Safes/Chubb Safe

Question
Chubb Safe Australia
Chubb Safe Australia  

Chubb Safe Australia
Chubb Safe Australia  
Hi Andy,

I bought this Chubb safe from an estate sale in Australia. It is locked open, I'm hoping you might be able to help identify its age so I have a starting point to try the get this baby unlocked and useable again?
Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nic

Answer
Hi Nicole,

The container appears to be late 1800's, but appears to have been modified to include the combination lock.    This does not appear to be original.    Generally this type of safe would have had a key lock installed.

As far as the age, etc. etc. - it really doesn't matter.    As long as the door is locked open, you should be able to have the combination either recovered or reset by a safe technician or safe engineer from a local safe company.    There are several good companies in Australia to choose from, but as it is a large country and I don't know where you are located I can't recommend one.

If you don't have a local company, let me know about where you and/or the safe are located and I'll see who I might recommend.

Note:   You indicated that you acquired it from an estate sale, so I assume that you have the ability to transport the safe.   If so, this could save you a bunch of money by taking it to the safe company, as opposed to having them come to you.

Hopefully this will help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)