Antique Safes/Hamilton Safe

Hamilton safe 1
Hamilton safe 1  

Hamilton safe
Hamilton safe  

I recently acquired a Hamilton safe from a friend and was wondering if you could give me some info on it and an estimate on value. It is not in the best condition, but is still fairly nice.If I had to grade it on a 1-10 scale maybe a 6-7 . The measurements are approx. 30x46x64 and has steel casters for feet. I will send pics.

Henry, the only Hamilton Safe co. I know of is a much newer company so I am guessing you have a Mosler made in Hamilton, OH.  And the fact that it looks like a Mosler.  As to value, not much unless you find someone looking for a big old safe to use as a gun safe, then maybe $500 to $1,000.  The fire protection of the gun safes in this price range, and even higher, is actually pushing the lower limits of adequate fire protection.  The vast majority of fires safes built when yours was (100 yrs ago or so), were built to withstand large city fires, not just a house fire.   It has been said for years in my trade, that fire safes over 50 years old are no longer adequate.  This, to my knowledge, has never been proven to be true.  Conversely, I have seen first hand, the inadequacy of a typical  brand new modern big name gun safe after a fire.  It was not pretty.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place