Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin Safe

Question
HHM Safe
HHM Safe  

HHM Safe
HHM Safe  
Good evening, I am looking for information on a Herring Hall Marvin safe in my mother-in-laws home. We are assisting her in moving and this double door beast is in good working order but appears to be extremely heavy. It is on casters and as the company is no longer in business, I am not sure where to turn as to specs, weight, collectability, etc...The two information plaques are the only bits of information I can find(photo's attached). Any information resources that you can direct me to?
Thanks! Bruce

Answer
Hi Bruce,

your safe is pre 1959.     It does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

I'm not sure what "specs" you are looking for, you will need to be a little more specific.    Other than measurements and the classification the safe was made to, there aren't many more specs I can provide.    As you have the safe, you have most of these items in front of you, you just need to measure it.

As for weight, I would need all of the measurements to come up with an estimated weight for you.    The two "plaques" you provided photos of, are from the testing agencies and have nothing to do with the safe itself, other than to provide basic info on the "standards" the safe was built to, at that time.

Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA), specification F1-D indicates that it was designed as a fire insulated safe.   Classification "B" indicates that it was designed to provide up to two hours of fire resistance - keeping the interior temp. below 350 degrees F.

The UL "T-20" burglary rating, actually only means "TAMPER RESISTANT" and not burglary resistant.    This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

What other info are you looking for???  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)