Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin Safe

HHM Safe
HHM Safe  

HHM Safe
HHM Safe  
Good evening, I am looking for information on a Herring Hall Marvin safe in my mother-in-laws home. We are assisting her in moving and this double door beast is in good working order but appears to be extremely heavy. It is on casters and as the company is no longer in business, I am not sure where to turn as to specs, weight, collectability, etc...The two information plaques are the only bits of information I can find(photo's attached). Any information resources that you can direct me to?
Thanks! Bruce

Hi Bruce,

your safe is pre 1959.     It does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

I'm not sure what "specs" you are looking for, you will need to be a little more specific.    Other than measurements and the classification the safe was made to, there aren't many more specs I can provide.    As you have the safe, you have most of these items in front of you, you just need to measure it.

As for weight, I would need all of the measurements to come up with an estimated weight for you.    The two "plaques" you provided photos of, are from the testing agencies and have nothing to do with the safe itself, other than to provide basic info on the "standards" the safe was built to, at that time.

Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA), specification F1-D indicates that it was designed as a fire insulated safe.   Classification "B" indicates that it was designed to provide up to two hours of fire resistance - keeping the interior temp. below 350 degrees F.

The UL "T-20" burglary rating, actually only means "TAMPER RESISTANT" and not burglary resistant.    This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

What other info are you looking for???  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada