Antique Safes/Mosler and Browning Safes

Question
Mosler
Mosler  

Browning
Browning  
I have the 4 numbers to the combination but does not open or am I doing a wrong seqauence?  it is a mosler safe from around the 60's, it was inhereited by a friend of mine actually inherited 4 safe in total we opened 2 but we still need to open these 2 the other safe is a browning from the early 90's this has a 3 number combination and the same thing we are using LRLR sequence but it does not open either.

Answer
Hi Abelardo,

The lock on your Mosler safe is most likely a CD-302, which is a three wheel lock.   The lock on the Browning safe is most likely an S&G 6730 lock.   Dialing sequence for both locks is LRLR as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 80 for the Mosler and around 95 for the S&G).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open - in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence - operator errors.
2.  Incorrect combination - wrong numbers.
3.  Mechanical problems.

If you are making dialing errors it may be due to the layout of the combination or you may simply not understand how the lock works causing you to induce an error.    Combination errors can be caused by the placement of two adjacent numbers in different order.   For instance the numbers 30 and 40.   Using the above dialing sequence for the first and second wheel, if you are dialing the first number 30 and the second number 40, after dialing the first number four times, when you start to go to the second number (40) you have to go almost a full revolution before it comes up the first time (actually 90 numbers).    
HOWEVER if you reverse their position or 40 and 30, after dialing the number 40 four times when you reverse direction to dial the second number (30) in this example it is ONLY 10 numbers away for the first time.    Dialing THREE full revolutions would result in an incorrectly dialed combination.

NOTE:   DO NOT COUNT THE REVOLUTIONS OF THE DIAL, ONLY count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    Using the example of 40-30-xx, you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FOURTH time the number 40 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   Then reverse directions, turning clockwise (right) stopping the THIRD time the number 30 arrives at the index mark.   Remember the first time is going to come up really quickly as it is only 10 numbers away from 40.

If you ARE dialing the numbers correctly and it still won't open, then chances are you do not have the correct combinations for the locks.   This leaves you with two options, 1.  Test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations until you find the correct one, or  2.  contact a local safe company to have their safe tech open and recover the combinations for you.

As you didn't provide me with the actual combinations that you are using, I can't look at them to try to figure out what dialing errors you may be introducing to the lock.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)