Antique Safes/old hhm safe

Question
Front and top
Front and top  
Front
Front  
QUESTION: I was wondering about how old this safe is and if you could possibly give an approximate value. Any history of these safes that you would like to pass along?

ANSWER: Zach, Herring-Hall-Marvin was the result of a merger of 3 large safe companies near the end of the 1800's.  Actually there were a couple more minor companies involved but the big 3 names were retained.  All 3 of these companies had already been in the safe business for over 50 years.  Another large old competing safe company, Diebold bought out HHM in 1959.  Your safe, being the old style cast iron type, would date it from the turn of the century to around the 1920's. HHM made a lot of different safes and your's would have typically been for a small business or large house for both fire and burglary protection.  Generally speaking, old safes of this type and age are a dime a dozen, however small ones like yours tend to be a bit more attractive to buyers. I would think the safe is worth at least $500 in todays market.  Doug     

QUESTION: Thank you for your input doug, that is great news to me. I pulled it out of a basement in a house and was reluctant enough to get the combination from the owner. I did a little research myself and found the serial number to be 2249. Did these serials start at 1 and go up? The inside appears to be all original with a divider and 2 small lock boxes on the left hand side.i also have both keys to these lockboxes. Do you know if there is a museum that would be interested in a donation of a piece like this?

Answer
On the serial number, I am positive about only one maker, Corliss and they started with No. 1.  But that is not to say HHM did.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they started with 1001.  Your safe isn't quite what the Smithsonian is looking for, but you might something in your area.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen