Antique Safes/saleable safe

I have a tann clarendon 2 450 safe and don't need it anymore. Is there a market for this model and where can i sell it?

Thank you

Hello Kay,

Thank you for your question.

Although John Tann no longer exists, the Tann Clarendon II was a good safe and the 450 is a nice compact size, so it should be marketable.  Safes are graded according the amount that an insurer would cover the contents for overnight.  The Clarendon II has a rating of 6,000 in cash or 60,000 in valuables - something a buyer would need to know.  So your safe is the right size and has a popular cash rating, but the question is how to sell it?

A new safe of this security level and size would cost around 500. You can approach a specialist in reconditioned safes such as A to Z Safe Warehouse in Benfleet, Essex, but they will want to make a margin on it.  They will also need to cover the cost of collecting and refurbishing it, so they are unlikely to offer you a great deal, but it could be worth asking.

You could put it in an auction but you have to cover the cost of delivering it to the auction house and risk having to take it back again if it doesn't sell.

Alternatively you could put it on eBay with a reserve or around 250 or a Buy Now price of 350, but make sure you state 'buyer collects' as it weighs about 375kg.

If prospective buyers ask any technical questions, feel free to come back to me.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others