Antique Safes/Victor Safe - seeking info & hinge acorn

Question
Victor hinge
Victor hinge  

Victor Safe
Victor Safe  
Andy-

I bought an old Victor, see pictures. I know nothing about it.
Serial number on the dial is either 150877 or 160977 - hard to tell if its a 5 or 6.

I'd like to know it's approximate age, but more importantly I'm looking to replace the missing acorn on the bottom hinge. Also, do you know why there's a "21" crudely painted inside the door near the lock?

Any help is appreciated!

David Zbin

Answer
Hi David,

The serial number is 150877.    The safe was made during the early 1900’s prior to 1905.

There are no replacement parts available, which means that you will either have to find a similar safe to use for donor parts, or have new finial’s (acorns) made for your safe.    I recommend making 4 new ones at the same time so they match.    Save the old ones as they are original.       While I do have some old Acorns, I don’t have any of these little guys.
If you don’t have a machinist that you can use, I can have them made for you, however machine shops don’t like to make “small quantity” parts.    They would rather make 1000 items than 1 or 2.    Generally you are looking at between about $125 to $200 per acorn to have them made.    Time and material chosen – polished Stainless is my favorite.

As far as the number “21” -  your safe wouldn’t get its serial number until AFTER it was built.    That’s a “last thing” item.    In the mean time when they are building the safes they might have anywhere from 10 to 50 safes being built at a time.    As it moves through the assembly process, they need to be able to keep items built for certain safes “coded” to make it to the correct safe.    This is called a “build number”!    So your safe would have been “build #21” of what ever lot of safes that were being done during that day, week or month.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)