Antique Safes/Worth restoring?

Question
front
front  

door
door  
Hello Terry,

I recently acquired a floor safe and am trying to determine if it is worth restoring.  If not, does it have any value?  Attached are photos and I have several more.  It is missing its dial and lock mechanism.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Answer
Hi Mark,

Everything "can be" restored, but your question "is it worth" restoring is a good one.   It appears that all of the original locking mechanism is missing, which means it will have to be fabricated.   

As parts are not readily available, fabrication costs will probably kill any "value" as a restored safe.

If the safe was a family heirloom, then my answer would be different as you can't really put a value on something that is irreplaceable.   

If you have a machine shop readily available and can make much of the missing items, then go for it, otherwise, I'm afraid you are going to have more into it than it would ever be worth.

Sorry for the bad news.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)