Antique Safes/Combination sequence for old safe

Question
I have an old safe, a National Safe & Lock Co. Cleveland Ohio. Serial # 20414871.  It has a Yale and Powne lock, Sanford Conn. Pat. date 1895.  I do not know much about the safe and I was told that it has a 4 number combination.  I have no idea as to the sequence of numbers right left etc.  I would like to be able to use the safe if I can figure out how to go about opening it.

Thank you and best regards,

Ralph

Answer
Hi Ralph,

The Yale locks that were used on these containers were generally the OB series or the 026 Roller Bolt locks.    The majority of these locks were 4 wheel locks (4 combination wheels and 1 drive wheel).   The dialing sequence for the locks is as follows:

Yale OB series -  RLRLR

Yale 026 RB -  LRLRL

5 times Left to the first number,
4 times Right to the second number,
3 times Left to the third number,
2 times Right to the fourth number,
1 time Left until the dial stops.

If this doesn't work, try reversing directions or RLRLR instead of LRLRL.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FIFTH time the number 50 ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you don't have the combination, then you may need to have someone open and reset or recover the combination for you.

Hopefully this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)