Antique Safes/Diebold Safe 385 Light Wall Safe

Question
Diebold Safe
Diebold Safe  

Diebold Safe
Diebold Safe  
Sir,

I am looking for any assistance in identifying and selling an antique Diebold safe.  It has been painted over but is open.  I'm unable to find a serial or model number, but it is labeled as a Diebold Special from Canton Ohio.  I've been in contact with Diebold.  They checked their archives and believe that the safe is possibly a 358X Light Wall safe.  They referred me to your site.  Would you be interested in the safe?  Would you be able to confirm that it's a 358X Light Wall Safe and give an estimate of it's value?  It's rough outside measurements are 36 1/2 inches wide, 27 1/8 inches deep, 65 5/8 inches tall with the caster wheels.  The caster wheels have the safe sitting 7 1/2 inches above the ground.  I would really appreciate any help.

Answer
Hi Ed,

No, Yes and Yes!

Sorry, but we are not in the business of buying and/or selling antique safes as such.     These safes DO NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance or burglary resistance - which is what we are selling.

Your best bet is eBay, Craigslist, or local want ads.    You can also try going through antique dealers and/or an auction house, though these latter options generally charge fairly hefty commissions - up to about 30% of the sale - on the other hand, it is in their best interest to sell the safe, as they don't make any money other wise.

If Diebold can't give you a date of manufacture, then the best that I can do is to narrow down a time frame that it would have probably been built during.

I looked at photos that I have of a number of similar safes - the serial number is stamped into the ball of the handle on all of them.    They don't generally put a model number on them, and the model really doesn't matter much as far as value.

I would be more than happy to look at the container for you, but will need much better photos to evaluate it.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)