Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe

Hello Andy,

I found you on-line by accident and saw you discussing a safe almost exactly like the one I am asking about.  It is a Herring Hall Marvin safe 40.5" long x 27 -3/4" deep and about 68" tall.  It has wheels at the 4 corners.  It is a T-20 fire rated safe and has a Cat No. 5533B and a number 1Y65988 on a plate inside the door.  The safe has double doors and handles.  The metal appears to be like a "greenish-gray color" almost like a flecked paint (similar to galvanizing).

My question is if whether or not you could tell me what this safe would weigh.  We have a client who is moving the safe from a basement area to a first floor and we are assisting to review the strength of the floor.  Can you help?  Thank you.

Joe Lenzi

Hi Joseph,

Your safe is probably in the 1500 to 2000 lb range.    

A very important aspect to realize is that the safe is possibly on wheels, this means that it is NOT sitting flat on the floor, the weight is concentrated on four 1" square areas.    This means that you would have to add some structure to the floor to spread the weight out.

1/4" steel plate can easily do this, or 1" thick plywood.

If the safe has had the wheels removed and is sitting flat on the floor, then you have basically spread the weight out over about a 7-3/4 square foot area, lowering the weight per square foot to around 190 to 250 pounds.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada