Antique Safes/Reliable Sage And Lock Inc. Covington Ky Safe

Question
I am looking into buying a Reliable Safe and Lock Inc. Covington Ky Safe, The seller has the combination to the safe but after about 100 failed attempts at getting the safe to open were stumped. It is the kind that has a 4 digit combination and does the right, left, right left... or at least thats the way the combination was written. The internet has offered little help, when looking to problem solve on this safe. Are we doing the combination wrong? Should it be left, right, left right? I wish i would have taken some pictures when we were there. The combination is in the middle of he safe with the handle thats in the center too as one unit. We're stumped, any suggestions?

Thank you for your time,
Lacey

Answer
Hi Lacey,

The Reliable Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1916 until about 1941.   They were acquired by Mosler in the early 1940's.   So currently the safe is not an antique, though it is collectible.

The correct dialing sequence for the lock on your safe should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right stopping on your fourth number (should be between 18-28.

turn the handle clockwise about 80 degrees to open 6 o'clock position to almost 9 o'clock position.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 25, you will turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the fourth time the number 25 arrives at the index mark.

If it still won't open, then either you are continuing to make a dialing error, or the numbers are not correct.

Many times combinations are passed on the way previous owners understand them and NOT necessarily the way the lock operates.   It is possible to dial this lock as RLRL, though the numbers may not be the same (different numbers), so the dialing sequence WILL matter, depending on how the lock combination was originally recovered.

If you can't get it open using these instructions, then it may be time to contact a local safe company to have their safe technician (NOT a locksmith), check it out.    If there are any charges for the service, these should be borne by the safe owner or deducted from the cost of your purchase price.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)