Antique Safes/Victor Safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe
Safe  
Hi Terry, We are a group of 8th graders working on a project to open a victor safe. It is a old Victor safe and we want to open the safe without damaging it. I will attach a few images. Thank you for your help and time!

Answer
Hi John,

Unfortunately, for security and liability reasons, we can't give you ANY information on opening safes other than the correct dialing sequence for the lock installed.

Victor Safe & Lock Company manufactured their own locks, but they were a three wheel lock (3 combination wheels and a drive wheel).    While the locks are NOT capable of utilizing all of the possible 1,000,000 test combinations, there is no way of telling from the outside what the variations would be - meaning that you are going to have to test dial most or all of them to open it.

The correct dialing sequence for the lock installed on this safe is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops -  should be around 70.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise and Right is clockwise.   Don't count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance, if your first number is 50 - start turning counter clockwise (left), stopping the FOURTH time the number 50 arrives at the index.

You can set up a spreadsheet with ALL of the possible test combinations so that you can check them off after dialing them - HOWEVER, dialing 500 each day will take about 5.5 years to dial them all.

You can cut the time down by skipping every other number, which would give you about 125,000 test combinations.   Testing 500 combinations every day, would take a little less than a year.    While you are cutting down on the test combo's and the time, you are introducing a small amount of error, so even if you are close, it may not open.

I'm glad to see that you are interested in doing this - this is exactly the same thing that got me interested in this trade over 43 years ago.

Hope I've helped start you off in the right direction to getting this old safe open.

While there is a "bunch" of info on the internet - most of it is worthless, but entertaining.   You can check out:    http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/combina
For a basic idea of how a safe lock operates, so you understand the dialing sequence better, as long as you understand that the locks shown in most of the videos are NOT the lock that you are working with.    The basic operations are similar enough though, that you can learn its operation and/or dialing sequence.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)