Antique Safes/Antique Mosler safe info

Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  

Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  
HI Doug,

I purchased this safe a few years ago at an estate sale.  We moved and its not right for our new house.  Its sitting in my garage, well protected, but not in a prime location where it can be enjoyed.  

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the value might be, what is the market for such an item, and where I might be able to market it effectively.  Also any information you can gather from looking at it, that I can use to market it, would be helpful.  Age, etc.

It is a Mosler safe that has been restored.  It's beautiful....and quite heavy. It stands about 45.5 inches 31 inches wide and about 25 inches deep.

I know the combination and it works fine.

First off, I don't recognize it as being a Mosler.  Not saying can't be but it's not like the ones I can remember seeing.  But in this case brand name really doesn't matter a whole lot anyway.  It has been nicely redone in an understated manner but it is not a highly collectible safe.  I guess Ebay is your best bet and could feasibly sell for $1,000 or maybe a bit more.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place