Antique Safes/antique stick safe sticks

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir:
 I have a 32" by 36" black antique safe pat 1870.  It open with a sheet metal strip that you insert in a slot and press to the right. After not opening it up for a long time I tried it and the handle would not open. I made sure the marking up was up the right way After five or ten min. with the stick and WD-40 I got the handle turned and was lucky enough to get it opened. Removed all from the safe and now left it open. With the safe open I noticed Screws on the inside of the door. Does this mean the safe can be checked and fixed from the inside?  How Do I find a locksmith in my aria that can do this kind of work?
         Thank you  Fred

ANSWER: Hi Fred,

Glad you got it open, however WD-40 is not a lubricant.   While it does have some penetrating qualities, it will allow the "gunk" to harden up worse than before.    The lock needs to be thoroughly cleaned and lubricated correctly.    DO NOT close and lock the safe until it has been serviced.

While it may have an 1870 patent date, this has nothing to do with when it was made, other than to indicate the safe was made AFTER that date and up to 20 years later.     While some of the older safes had access to the locking mechanism many did not.   If the locking mechanism is covered over with mortar, then it would have to be chipped out to gain access.    After cleaning, service and maintenance it could then have new mortar installed.

As old as this safe is, hopefully you aren't using it for "daily" use.     Your safe wouldn't meet ANY standards for fire or burglary resistance.

I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge and/or tools to work on safes - especially antique safes.    If you don't have a local safe company I'll need to know what your zip code is to see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

QUESTION: Dear Sir:    I live in New Haven CT.   06515.
  Thank you   Fred.

Answer
Hi Fred,

The three companies that I would recommend in your area are:

S.G. Clark Safe Services
(845) 855-9046          Scott Clark
7 Sage Rd.
Pawling, NY   12564

Precision Lock & Safe
516-616-0854          Elaad & Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY   11001

Capital Safe & Lock
888-870-LOCK          John Labbe
77K Tolland Tnpke
Manchester, CT   06040

You can contact these companies to discuss your project with.    While there may be some smaller companies in your area, these are the ones that I would recommend.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)