Antique Safes/Identify this old safe

Question
Front
Front  

Wheel pack
Wheel pack  
I have an old safe that has been in my family's body shop for 50 years. I was hoping you could identify the maker and approximate date of manufacture. I have attached pictures. I think it has been through a fire because the metal on the outside is wrinkled. It has two round locking bolts in the door that the pictures don't show. It is fully functional ( I know it looks rough).
The # on the handle is 7869, and one ear is broken off. I removed the wheel pack to keep anyone from locking the safe. The wheel pack is made of cast iron or maybe cast steel, with the # 897 stamped on the back. The wheels in the pack are all made of steel and have change screws for different combinations. The lock is a direct entry fence type. The drive wheel is slightly bigger than the other 3 wheels and has no false gaits. It is a 4 no. Combination
I'm sorry I didn't get measurements of the safe but I'm guessing about 36" high by 30" wide and 30" deep.
We have plan to refurbish the safe and would like to put the original paint and marking on it. Maybe you would have picture of what it looked like before the fire. It's probably not worth scrap price but it means a lot to us.  Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Steve

Answer
Hi Steve,

Chances are your safe is from the old "Halls Safe & Lock Company, Cincinnati, OH", however I'll need much better photos to verify that.

As far as the wrinkled finish, its probably actually just aged varnish.    We see a LOT of older safes that appear this way, however it generally isn't due to fire.    As varnish ages it tends to yellow and crack.   In severe cases it may look like the surface was exposed to fire.

Chances are it may be worth more than you believe, though I will need much better photos.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)