Antique Safes/Mosley safe

Question
Mosler pic
Mosler pic  
If a Mosler floor safe was damaged by it being drilled open can still be worth good money?

Answer
Hi Leslie,

As with anything, it depends on the damage done to the safe.    As parts are not going to be available unless you find a similar safe to use as a donor for parts, if items damaged cannot be repaired then it is pretty much just a large paper weight.

Drilling, when done correctly, shouldn't damage the safe, the lock or the bolt work.   Generally on safes like yours we would use a small 1/4" hole to open it up, and then repair the hole.

Judging from the photo that you have included - someone has drilled what appears to be about a 1/2" or larger hole.   I can't tell from the photo if a repair was attempted or not, and without seeing the damage to the bolt work I can't comment on repairs or potential repairs.

Bottom line the answer is "YES" it can be repaired, I just have no way of knowing from the photo included what it would take to repair your safe and/or bring it back to operational status.

Obviously any potential "VALUE", or as you put it - being "worth good money", would depend on necessary repairs and/or parts required.    Cost to make the repairs would take away from potential value.     However that being said, if the safe was a family "heirloom", then to me, value far exceeds cost of repairs.    You can not replace something that was owned by a family member who meant something to you.   

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)