Antique Safes/Safe

Question
Inside if safe
Inside if safe  
Safe
Safe  
QUESTION: It says Detroit safe . I would like to know what it is and approximately what the value is...thanks ...ken.

ANSWER: Hi Ken,

While it may have been sold by "Detroit Safe" at some point, it wasn't made by them.    It appears to be a "Hall's Safe & Lock Company" safe, made prior to 1892, however I will need much better photos to actually ID the safe and to try to answer questions you may have about it.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: thanks....i just wanted an aprox value.....guy offerd me 200.00 and he picks it up....just wanted to know if i wasn't gonna lose big time cause it was worth a lot more....my friend who gave it to me before hr went into nursing home said it was his prize piece... just checking..so is there an aprox range.....i could not find one on line with the raised rope border and few with the non-flat main door....thanks.....again i am not looking for a precise appraisal....thank you in advance for your time.....you are most kind

Answer
Hi Ken,

I can't evaluate the safe without seeing the photos, and I don't give ball park prices.    However that being said bottom line I would put it at around $800 to $1000.

Without a proper ID and evaluation even that price could be low.   As I mentioned just be cause it was sold by Detroit, doesn't mean that's what you have.    If it is a Hall's safe, it could be much older than 1892 as that was the "end date" for this company!

Sorry but if you actually want to know what you have and how much its appraisal value is you are going to have to get me some photos.

Your friend was right, and you shouldn't be so quick to sell!

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)