Antique Safes/York Safe

Question
Hello there,

We recently purchased a house that has a small York delayed action safe bolted down in the garage. The realtor stated they do not have the combination due to it being an inheritance. The safe is currently locked with the door opened. After reading several of your replies to others, my concern is that we are in a very rural community and seem to only have locksmiths. I have not been able to find anyone locally that has the expertise in safes. The house is located in Northern California in the town of Fortuna. If you have any recommendation has who I should call for help, I would greatly appreciate it. Unless, there is a way to reset myself since the door is open.

Thank you so much!!

Answer
Hi Gabrielle,

I'm kind of confused about your description of it being a "York delayed action" safe.   I'm not sure where you got the term and/or what you are trying to describe.    I am very familiar with most York safes, so while the lock may have a time delay, the safe itself isn't a "delayed action"!    I will need more info and/or photos to see what you are trying to describe.

Fortuna is in my service area, though it is quite a drive which would bring the cost up significantly.   I have a really good friend living in Eureka, though usually I don't see him unless he comes south!

"IF" the safe has some type of special locking mechanism, then you are correct in that you will probably need someone from outside of that area, which would increase the service cost due to the extra drive time, but I would recommend that rather than having someone who doesn't know what they are doing "monkeying" around with it and accidently locking it up permanently.

A company not too far from you that you can discuss the project with would be:

Humboldt Lock & Safe
312 W. Harris Street
Eureka, CA  95503
707-445-4865

As long as the safe is open, they SHOULD be able to at least recover the combination for you.   If the lock is not a standard Yale lock, then I would possibly recommend having me come up.  If I do it on a weekend and combine visiting my friend I would be willing to absorb some of the costs.

First item of business though would be for you to send some photos of your safe to me, so that we can actually determine what you are dealing with, so that you can make an informed decision concerning the work you need done.

Send photos of the safe, lock and any decals to me at:    Andy@securitysafeusa.com

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)