Antique Safes/Asbestos lining in antique safes

I'm putting together an asbestos assessment training program for some of the younger staff members over here at my company. I'm going around making a slideshow of all the various materials that I've seen to have asbestos in them. One of those that I've been unable to find a photograph of is an asbestos lined fire safe.

Its often found as a felt-like liner around the door, or sometimes as block insulation within the safe case itself. Would it be possible to have you send a couple example photographs that I can use in this training slideshow for our new inspectors? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Steve,

As the Asbestos lining is sealed in side of the safe walls, without stripping the walls out, I don't have access to them.

For obvious safety and liability reasons, we don't normally tear safes apart.

I don't know anyone that has - either.    And as there are no manufacturers still in business that build safes with this material I'm not sure where you would go to look for examples.

There are still plenty of these old safes around that I'm sure you could obtain, and strip the skin off the safe to reveal the inner insulation material.

If you don't have the facilities to do this, we can, however we would be charging you for the container (as it will not be repaired), labor to strip the skin, and any HAZMAT disposal fees.

Sorry, I hate having to charge you for this, but its just business.

If you would like us to proceed, feel free to contact me directly.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada