Antique Safes/Halls safe

Question
halls safe
halls safe  
halls safe
halls safe  
QUESTION: I just bought a Halls safe and I am interested its age and History. The serial number is 59907
The inner door in safe is missing its key but is open are there keys still available for this lock.
The little box up in the left hand corner inside the safe is missing its lock. The dimensions of the safe
are 36" high  24" wide  27" deep with 5" wheels. Any help you can give me will much appreciated

Thank you Don

ANSWER: Hi Don,

Your "Hall's Safe & Lock Company" safe would have been made around 1874-75, so it is an antique safe.    

Unfortunately replacement locks are not readily available.    You would have to find another similar safe to acquire a "donor" lock.    That being said, your options would include just leaving it the way it is, as not having the lock isn't going to affect its value that much, or having it refitted to another similar lock.   

As for the missing keys for the larger "day door", while original keys are not going to be available, having keys made to fit the lock and have it operational shouldn't be that big an issue.    Most legitimate locksmith shops or safe companies SHOULD be able to hand fit keys to the lock.    Just take the lock off the door and take it in to them.

If they can't make keys for it, this should tell you something about their actually being a locksmith.   Unfortunately many locksmiths these days are little more than "trained monkeys" - pull part off, put part on!   The number of "REAL" locksmiths is dwindling as older generations are dying off, and the newer guys just don't have the passion that was prevalent even through the 1960's and 70's.

Worse case, if you can't find anyone to make keys for the lock, you can always send it to me.   Again, while original keys and/or blanks are not going to be available, there are still key blanks that we can use to hand fit keys to your lock.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: I want to thank you for help and information.

Don

Answer
Don,

You are more than welcome.   If you can't find someone in your area, let me know and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.   As I mentioned worse case you could send the lock to me.

Check under "safes & vaults" in your yellow pages.    If you would like me to look for someone, I'll need your zip code.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)